Tuesday, September 09, 2008

too long...

Okay, it's been too long since the last post.  

It's been over a year, and I am now at a different congregation and my post from two years ago still comes up on the main page.  The infamous snakes on a cane sermon.  Well, with Holy Cross day coming up, I thought it would be good to read that message again to see how it sounded today.  It's not that bad, if I may say so myself, yet definitely set to be preached to a seminary community.  
Sometimes I long for that community.  For the opportunity to walk across campus and have multiple random conversations...to complain about papers to be written and lectures to attend, but that community was a blessing.  
Being far and away from that community is definitely impacting both my life and ministry.  While facebook (tm) totally helps with the connections to friends and family, it is hard when people are not right around the corner.  Not to mention, not even in the same state.  
Many of my parishioners find that community within the congregation...while that happens to a certain level with me, it is also a challenge to live 45 minutes away from my church family.  And, well, do I really want to spend time off with parishioners....usually, no.  
Ah....the life of a small town pastor.  
In the meantime...the yard has been manicured a bit, and the garden has provided fresh basil, summer squash, a few peppers, and soon to come some late tomatoes and watermelons.  yum.  

love from linton,
jake, eh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home